On behalf of the Book-in-Common committee and the Pioneer Center for Student Excellence, we are pleased to announce the Book-in-Common 2021 Essay Contest.
The contest is open to current students (undergraduate and graduate), staff, and faculty.
TWU’s campus theme for Just Mercy is, A Call to Action: Seeking Social Justice by Becoming Change Agents in Our Communities.
The essay contest prompt is as follows: With the campus theme in mind, what calls you to act? How are you an agent of change in your community and/or the world?
Essays should not exceed 1,000 words.
Essays must be submitted by Friday, March 5, 2021 @ 5:00 p.m.
Use the links below to submit your completed essays. Essayist are not permitted to edit their work after submission.
- Staff: https://forms.gle/xSq4CVBjbf4bnosn7
- Faculty: https://forms.gle/N4Caz7aecBqC7zPg6
- Undergraduate Student: https://forms.gle/tT7qgdRsgA6AvvfN7
- Graduate Student: https://forms.gle/gfKpmTkToWeDJoxV7
Winners will be notified via email no later than Tuesday, March 30, 2021.
First and second place prizes will be awarded in each category.
Winners will receive the following:
- TWU Bookstore gift certificate ($100 for first place & $50 for second place).
- PCSE Swag bag including a copy of Just Mercy.
- Winners will be invited to discuss their Call to Action essays on PCSE’s podcast, Answering the Call: Exploring Scholar-Activism at TWU and Beyond.
- Student winners will be interviewed Tuesday, April 6, 2021 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Faculty and Staff winners will be interviewed Tuesday, April 20, 2021 @ 2:00 p.m.
- Listen to a previous episode of the podcast here: https://open.spotify.com/show/6vYtWlQAiAyAxmIT4CBWHy?si=i_xdcLH4Rv6ucdpn5WUxIg
To learn more about the Book-in-Common program, please visit the BIC website: https://twu.edu/pioneer-center/book-in-common/